Futurewise has compiled a directory of useful information about Smart Growth, Washington's Growth Management Act, as well as links to other good land use resources.
Washington's Growth Management Act
- An Introduction to Smart Growth
- About Washington's Growth Management Act
- Smart Growth Research on the Internet (PDF version)
Futurewise Smart Growth resources
- Tips for Effective Public Testimony
- A Citizen's Guide to the Five-Year Review (PDF version)
- Ten Questions to Ask About Your City or County Comprehensive Plan
- Ten Questions to Ask About Your City or County Development Regulations
- The Growth Management Act After More than 10 Years: Another Look and a Response to Criticisms (PDF version)
Other Smart Growth resources
- Growing Cooler, a book authored by Smart Growth America, Urban Land Institute, and others
- A short video by the Congress for New Urbanism on the problems with urban sprawl
Links to growth management resources
- State Office of Community, Trade & Economc Development - the state agency responsible for land use
- Washington Growth Management Hearings Boards - where decisions on Growth Management challenges are made
- Shorelines Hearings Board - regulates management of state shorelines
- Office of the Code Reviser - find state laws and regulations
- State legal opinions published in the past 90 days
- Washington local government links - county, city, and regional websites
Careers, Volunteering, and Internships
The election of our former executive director, Hilary Franz, to the role of Washington State Commissioner of Public Lands was a win for all who live in this region. Futurewise now seeks a qualified candidate for executive director to continue the crucial work of strengthening cities and protecting our state's precious natural resources. Read more about the position here.
We are searching for volunteers who are interested in volunteering in the office during the weekday. Tasks generally include data entry, mailings, and other light office work. Opportunities for phoning members about important issues are also available. Email us for more information.
If you would like to take part in our fundraising efforts and see what goes on behind the scenes, there may be opportunities for you to volunteer with events. Email Caitlyn Taylor, Development Manager for more information.
We're building a team of attorneys who are willing to take on land use legal cases on a pro bono basis. Email Tim Trohimovich, Legal Director for more information.