Job Announcement: Whatcom Chapter Director
Futurewise Whatcom was formed in February, 2007 as an official chapter
of the statewide non-profit organization. Futurewise Whatcom currently
has a Steering Committee of eight engaged local activists. The Chapter
Director works with the local Steering Committee and reports to the
Futurewise Director of Policy and Advocacy.
This high-energy job supports our advocacy and organizing efforts to protect our county and the natural environment by working with local members and activists.
Chapter Director Responsibilities:
- Take lead in identifying, cultivating, and soliciting funds from potential donors.
- Identify and develop proposals for potential local corporate and foundation sponsors.
Lead in organizing and implementing fundraising activities, with Steering Committee assistance.
- Coordinate Steering Committee, including preparing meeting agendas and recruiting committee members.
- Organize public meetings and events.
Maintain and expand membership.
- Monitor local smart growth actions.
- Work with Futurewise staff and local Steering Committee to establish positions and policy goals for the chapter.
- Develop and implement work plans to achieve goals, through coalition work, outreach to public officials, testifying at public hearings, grassroots mobilization and media communications.
Coordinate with Futurewise office on local implementation of state organizational and policy objectives.
- Communicate with media about policy positions and chapter activities.
- Write email alerts and newsletter articles for Futurewise membership.
- Improve and expand Whatcom portion of Futurewise website and social media.
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits. Initially half-time; open to growing hours and salary tied to achieving or exceeding fundraising goals.
- Energy, enthusiasm, and self-motivation.
- Outreach and organizing experience.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent interpersonal relations skills.
- Familiarity with and commitment to land use and environmental issues.
- Flexibility and willingness to work some evenings and weekends.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, manage, and coordinate multiple tasks.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Media and communications experience.
- Non-profit experience.
- Whatcom County contacts and relationships.
- Experience in land use planning
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and concise answers to the questions below. Submit application to: whatcom(at)Futurewise.org by May 21, 2012.
Please provide concise answers to the following questions:
1) What are the two biggest challenges facing our rural and resource areas in Whatcom County?
2) What are the two biggest challenges facing our urban areas in Whatcom County?
3) How have you approached fundraising in challenging economic times?