Washington state legislative futurewise session protect puget sound drinking water urban density prevent sprawl save family farms forests rural areas Initiative 933 land use growth management act
2013 Legislative Agenda
Our 2013 Legislative Agenda focuses on smart growth solutions to create communities that thrive with strong local businesses and jobs, safe efficient transportation choices, affordable places to live, and healthy natural systems.
- Equitable livable communities. One of the biggest roadblocks to accommodating growth in our cities is an inadequate supply of affordable housing and a lack of funds to pay for the infrastructure needed to service it. We support creating new tools to facilitate affordable and sustainable infill development – like Value Capture Financing.
- Transportation for Washington. We support a new transportation revenue package that gives all Washingtonians an equal opportunity for success by fixing broken roads, putting more buses on the street, investing in our ferries and communities, and creating more jobs.
- Stop environmental rollbacks. Powerful industries and some elected officials are using the recession as justification to roll back environmental regulations. We oppose these efforts but we do support streamlining regulations where it makes sense so that we can avoid costly duplication.
Announcing the 2013 Environmental Priorities
Futurewise is a member of the Environmental Priorities Coalition. Click here to read more about the 2013 Coalition Priorities.
- Toxic-Free Kids & Families. This commonsense legislation will remove unnecessary flame retardants from children's products and furniture in our homes and prevent chemicals identified by the state as a concern for kids health from being used as replacements.
- Clean Energy Solutions. This priority would drive Washington forward by developing a climate policy that accelerates clean energy investment and helps free consumers from the economic dead weight of fossil fuel dependence.
- Conservation Works. This Priority promotes fiscally-responsible projects that benefit the entire state by protecting Puget Sound, reducing toxic runoff, expanding recreation opportunities, and improving habitat and forest health. These projects preserve the incredible natural resources that make our state a great place to live, work, and raise a family.
Join us in Olympia
Don't miss these two upcoming events where you can learn more about our
the environmental priorities and transportation issues and participate
in the legislative process:
- Transportation Lobby Day – Tues. Feb. 12, Olympia, WA.
For more information about Futurewise's legislative agenda or priorities, please contact:
(206) 343-0681 x120